At the Innovation Conference I attended, Hallmark Cards, Inc., presented their Keepsake Ornaments case study on Idea Management. They worked with Imaginatik and their online Idea Central product. Mark Turrell, CEO of Imaginatik, also spoke.
Some initial steps Hallmark took at the outset of their Innovation project:
* Obtained Senior Management approval.
* Set a clear goal (develop new products in their Keepsake line), timeline, and budget ($5MM).
* appointed a “SWAT” Team to tackle the project.
* Identified potential obstacles to the online Idea Management concept.
The general process is:
1. Idea Generation – they used clear, fill-in-the blanks forms that helped idea providers give their ideas consistenctly and completely.
2. Concept Development – developed criteria and evaluated ideas against it; built upon strongest ideas.
3. Concept Actualization – prototypes developed for consumer test.
4. Product Testing
Hallmark deemed the project a success. 17 product ideas made it protype; 15 of them rated superior and different; three leading to new sub-brands for Keepsakes. They retained the 250 ideas originally submitted for further use.